Student Health Insurance Benefits Plan
See 2022-23 Benefit Details here.
The Student Health Insurance Benefits Plan is valuable and easy to use on campus and off:
- It is designed specifically for Ohio State students, with input from students and approved by the Board of Trustees.
- It covers medical, mental health, prescription, vision, and dental.
- It covers students year-round, including through summer and breaks.
- It offers enhanced benefits at on-campus locations that have providers who are experts in student health: Student Health Services, Counseling and Consultation Services, OSU College of Optometry Clinics and the College of Dentistry Student Clinics on campus. Out-of-pocket shares of expenses will be least, and often none, if students use these providers.
- If it were available through the health care marketplace, this type of individual policy would be a Platinum plan (the highest level of coverage) with rates that are typically at the more affordable Silver level of cost. Plus, it includes dental and vision coverage.
- It complies with the 2010 Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) requirement for Minimum Essential Coverage (“MEC”), and exceeds the minimum requirements for student health insurance plans under the law.
- For benefit details by specific policy year materials, you can use the left menu navigation.
- Less than the average cost of comparable coverage available in the insurance market
- No copays, co-insurance or deductible for office visit fees, diagnostic tests and medical procedures at the Wilce Student Health Center
- $20 co-pay for network primary and specialty care office visits, dental, and vision exams
- $25 co-pay for urgent care office visits
- No Referrals required.
- 10% co-insurance for most preferred provider services
- $150 preferred provider deductible
- $3,000 preferred provider out-of-pocket maximum
- Inpatient and outpatient medical
- Mental health and substance abuse
- Preventive screenings and exams
- Prescription drugs
- Diagnostic services such as lab tests and x-rays
- Allergy injections
- Complementary and alternative medicine, (including physical therapy, chiropractic, and acupuncture)
- Durable medical equipment
Exclusions and limitations to the above can apply - visit the benefit year detail pages for full benefit details.
- The Plan uses a PPO model (Preferred Provider Organization) with Ohio State network providers and facilities in the Franklin County area, and a national network outside of the Franklin County area. Visit the Find a Provider page to search these networks.
- Global emergency assistance through UnitedHealthcare Global is included. Coverage is available to assist students in an emergency -- 24/7 -- whenever they are more than 100 miles from home.
- If a student purchases the Plan by the published Select/Waive deadline each term, there is no break in coverage. A selection before the student's first academic term's Select/Waive deadline will remain in effective for the entire academic year if eligibility is met. Spring semester coverage includes summer coverage, through the end of the plan year.