Eligibility for the Student Health Benefits Plan
International Student Eligibility
International students are eligible for the health insurance requirement regardless of credit hours* and are required to purchase the Student Health Benefits Plan. Students may be eligible for an exemption if they meet specific criteria. *Excluding international students that reside in their home country and enroll only in distance learning courses.
Domestic Student Eligibility
Domestic student eligibility for the health insurance requirement and for automatic enrollment in the Student Health Benefits Plan is defined by eligible credit hours: 6 for undergraduate students, 4 for graduate and professional students, and 3 for post-candidacy students.
For Domestic eligibility, certain exceptions and exclusions apply, including:
- Credit hours for Continuing Education, Audit, Non-Degree, Consortium or online only academic program courses are excluded. You may petition to enroll if the Non-Degree course is a pre-requisite for entrance into a degree status program of study; if the course is graduate level, you must have a current application on file with the Graduate School.
- Distance Learning credit hours are included only if active alongside on-campus credit hours. If you are enrolled in Distance Learning with no on-campus credit hours for a specific coverage period, you can petition SHI for inclusion of these credits.
- If you are enrolled in approved co-ops, internship, study broad, thesis research, or dissertation research, you are automatically enrolled in the Student Health Benefits Plan regardless of credit hours, unless you waive.
It is your responsibility to view your online Statement of Account at the beginning of each academic term (and any time your course enrollment changes) to confirm it reflects the correct SHI Benefits Plan level.
Dependent Coverage and Plan Levels
During the first Select/Waive period of each academic year, eligible students can select the following levels of the SHI Benefits Plan:
- Student Only (default)
- Student + Spouse
- Student + Child
- Student + Spouse + Child
- Student + 2 or more Children
- Student + Spouse + 2 or more Children
If you select a new level of coverage, your fee will change according to the level you select (view Rates, Dates, and Deadlines for current rates). The new fee post to your Statement of Account within 1-3 business days. It will not post immediately. It is your responsibility to confirm the correct fee posts.
- The student’s legal spouse
- The student’s unmarried child(ren)* under age 26
- Biological children
- Foster children
- Adopted children from the date of placement in the student’s home and who depend on the student for their support
- Children for whom the student has been granted legal custody
- Children for whom the student has legal obligation to provide coverage due to a court order